Tuesday, May 12, 2015

May 4


This morning I worked on tailoring Jake's shirt that he has to wear for the safety clinics it is one he has to return so I had to tailor it without cutting it. I brought the bottom up about 4 inches and the sleeves up about six and I had to bring in the waist 2 inches it's amazing what a difference it made. I'm really grateful for the sewing skills I have.


The clouds started gathering so the kids and I rushed to the garden to get a little work done before it rained. My main focus was to free my peas from the weeds trying to choke them. I was pleasantly surprised to see just how many had come up in the batch I planted back in March. As I was weeding I discovered a rhubarb plant that I had brought back from Canada last summer it was so shriveled by the time I got it in the ground and didn't get much water and I was sure it was done for but it came back! My comfrey plants are also very healthy.


As we were weeding there was a big thunder clap and Ammon was quite scared and so Clyde and Zina took him in the house and made him some food. I kept weeding for a while I love gardening in the rain and the smell of the rain and the dirt is just delightful. It reminds me of playing the carrot game during thunderstorms with my brothers and sisters. We would hide under the porch and then when it thundered we ran to the garden and picked a carrot and tried to make it back under the porch before it thundered again. if you didn't make it you had to die and lay in the rain until someone else ran and got a carrot and fed it to you. 

On chilly rainy days mom would make postum for everybody in a big glass gallon jar the youngest kids all fought over who got the foam on the top. 

1 comment:

  1. Great tailoring skills! And I'm so glad you have started posting memories of your past, I wish I would have spoken more to my children about my past (while I still remembered it)! Good job, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete

Jacob & Rachel Hanks

Jacob & Rachel Hanks